Illinois

Illinois

Geographic Eligibility RPS Requirements

Utility

Eligible resources must be located in Illinois. Resources can be procured from adjoining states if approved by the Illinois Power Agency.

Alternative Retail Electric Supplier

Eligible resources must be located in Illinois, within states that adjoin Illinois (Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan and Missouri), or within portions of the PJM and MISO footprint in the United States, and that qualify under the definition of renewable energy resources below. The ARES compliance requirement is phased out by June, 1 2019.

Reporting Year

June 1 through May 31

Wind & Solar Requirement

For electric utilities, a minimum of 75 percent of the renewable energy must come from wind and solar power, and the remaining amount (25 percent) can come from other eligible renewables.

Renewable Energy Sources

Does not include: incineration or burning of; tires, garbage, general household, institutional, and commercial waste, landscape waste other than tree waste; railroad crossties; utility poles; or construction or demolition debris, other than untreated and unadulterated waste wood.

RPS Percentages
Year Total Renewables
EY 2009 2%
EY 2010 4%
EY 2011 5%
EY 2012 6%
EY 2013 7%
EY 2014 8%
EY 2015 9%
EY 2016 10.0%
EY 2017 11.5%
EY 2018 13.0%
EY 2019 14.5%
EY 2020 16.0%
EY 2021 17.5%
EY 2022 19.0%
EY 2023 20.5%
EY 2024 22.0%
EY 2025 23.5%
EY 2026 25.0%

Contacts

RPS Eligibility & Procurement
Anthony Star
Director
Illinois Power Agency
160 North LaSalle Street, Suite C-504
Chicago, Illinois 60601
Phone: (312) 814-8106
www.illinois.gov/ipa

Alternative Retail Electric Supplier
RPS Compliance

David Sackett
Economic Analyst, Policy Division
Illinois Commerce Commission
527 East Capitol Avenue
Springfield, Illinois 62701
Phone: (217) 557-6330