Illinois

Illinois

Geographic Eligibility RPS Requirements

Utility

Eligible resources must be located in Illinois. If there are insufficient cost-effective in-state resources, resources can be procured from adjoining states, and if these are also not cost-effective, resources can be procured from other regions of the country.

Alternative Retail Electric Supplier

Eligible resources must be located in Illinois, within states that adjoin Illinois (Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan and Missouri), or within portions of the PJM and MISO footprint in the United States, and that qualify under the definition of renewable energy resources below.


Reporting Year

June 1 through May 31

Solar Requirement

Yes, starting June 1, 2012. The solar PV requirement for Electric Utilities (EU) is phased in starting in 2012, but for Alternative Retail Electric Suppliers (ARES) the requirement does not take effect until 2015.

Distributed Generation Requirement

Yes, starting June 1, 2013. The Distributed Generation requirement only applies to Electric Utilities, not to Alternative Retail Electric Suppliers. Distributed Generation must be 2 MW or less and powered by wind, solar thermal, PV, biodiesel, biomass, tree waste, or hydropower. To the extent possible, at least half must come from systems less than 25 kW in capacity. Distributed Generation may also count toward the wind and solar requirements.

Renewable Energy Sources

  • Wind
  • Solar thermal energy, photovoltaic cells and panels,
  • Biodiesel,
  • Anaerobic digestion, crops and untreated and unadulterated organic waste biomass,
  • Tree waste,
  • In-state landfill gas,
  • Hydropower that does not involve new construction or significant expansion of hydropower dams, and
  • Other alternative sources of environmentally preferable energy

Does not include: incineration or burning of tires, garbage, general household, institutional, and commercial waste, landscape waste other than tree waste, railroad crossties, utility poles, or construction or demolition debris, other than untreated and unadulterated waste wood.

For EUs, minimum of 75% of the renewable energy must come from wind power, and the remaining amount (25%) can come from other eligible renewables. For ARES, a minimum of 60% of the renewable energy must come from wind power, and the remaining amounts (40%) can come from other eligible renewables.

RPS Percentages
Year Total Renewables Solar PV Distributed Generation**
EY 2009 2%    
EY 2010 4%    
EY 2011 5%    
EY 2012 6%    
EY 2013 7% 0.0035%*  
EY 2014 8% 0.12%* 0.04%
EY 2015 9% 0.27%* 0.0675%
EY 2016 10.0% 0.60% 0.100%
EY 2017 11.5% 0.69% 0.115%
EY 2018 13.0% 0.78% 0.130%
EY 2019 14.5% 0.87% 0.145%
EY 2020 16.0% 0.96% 0.160%
EY 2021 17.5% 1.05% 0.175%
EY 2022 19.0% 1.14% 0.190%
EY 2023 20.5% 1.23% 0.205%
EY 2024 22.0% 1.32% 0.220%
EY 2025 23.5% 1.41% 0.235%
EY 2026 25.0% 1.50% 0.250%

* The solar PV requirement for electric utilities is phased in starting in 2012, but for Alternative Retail Electric Suppliers the requirement does not take effect until 2015.

** The Distributed Generation requirement only applies to electric utilities, not to Alternative Retail Electric Suppliers.

Contacts

RPS Eligibility & Procurement
Anthony Star
Director
Illinois Power Agency
160 North LaSalle Street, Suite C-504
Chicago, Illinois 60601
Phone: (312) 814-8106
www.illinois.gov/ipa

Alternative Retail Electric Supplier
RPS Compliance

Richard J. Zuraski
Economist, Policy Division
Illinois Commerce Commission
527 East Capitol Avenue
Springfield, Illinois 62701
Phone: (217) 785-4150
Renewable Portfolio Standards